Thursday, January 21, 2010

MCHL Heroes- by Ted Wuebben













I told someone the other day when I started hockey, I watched (much like a child) as you MCHL players walked out of the locker room toward the ice and the benches...no sound under the skates, just a soft squeak from the rubber mats....but a distinct air about them, almost warrior-like on their march to do battle. Wow, if only I could learn enough so I could walk in my skates without buckling my ankles or waffling back and forth! Never did I realize the fabulous people that filled those skates.

It was very apparent this past weekend at the PHD SkateAThon. The entire 24 hours was filled with skaters, but Friday night was special. 40-60 teammates friends and foes crowded the deck to watch others do epic battle in ten minute 3 on 3 games.

The enthusiasm and sportsmanship of hockey would be hard to match anywhere. BUT what will never be matched is the generosity of the MCHL players in donating to the PHD Program. As Colleen and I sat on our bed to record and count money, I was overcome with emotion not only with the money aspect- but the participation of those who gave. So many of you, if not 100% of those who attended ( and many who did not) donated from their wallets and their hearts...all I (we) can say is Thank YOU,,,maybe now I know why you walk with such an air about you, it has nothing to do with the skates.

1 comment:

  1. Dad...what a perfect way to describe the "walking into battle" hockey players. I love that the men in my life admire such strong, dedicated athletes and you completely captured them in your post. Thanks for everything last weekend!! Michaela

    ReplyDelete