Friday, December 11, 2009

Just Another Frozen Friday



Early mornings often begin this way now for me- sitting in the hottub just outside our bedroom enjoying the view with a cup of coffee and a crossword puzzle or a good book, a time in prayer or grateful reflection. I was unaware that Ted took this picture, but it shows one big way that my life changed with Parkinson's.

No longer rushing off each morning to a job that I truly loved- somewhere in the subtle chemical changes, my old friends rushing and multi-tasking are memories, like photos snapped on a trip in the past. Balancing my use of energy and timing my medication is almost second nature, and that keeps PD from interfering with anything I really want to do. My job, as I see it now, is to work hard to manage PD as well as I can for as long as I can, and the good news is that it is that I am enjoying success in this new unforeseen career. I believe that is the best gift that I can give to those I love, and a way to embrace change so as to find joy in the great gift of life.

Along the way, I have found things that work wonders for me: learning everything I can about this complex baffling illness, accessing the best medical care, exercise with a personal trainer and workout partner, yoga, stretching, tai chi, meditation, planning ahead to avoid stress when possible, prayer, big doses of humor, a positive attitude and sharing this journey with new friends with PD by getting Involved- whether in our local support group or at national conferences...and ice skating on this rink with family & friends.

1 comment: