Monday, December 14, 2009

Just Add Water

Frequently asked, "How do you make a rink?" Ted replies simply, "Just add water."
The damage control due to recent snow and wind is progressing - there will be a rink soon. Did you know that when piled over with snow, the ice underneath gets soft and melts because of the insulation? Hard for me to grasp - as we shoveled the deep snow drifts in 10 degree weather this weekend. Despite the bitterly cold air, our feet still broke through the surface in several places! Once most of the snow was cleared, the next step on Sunday was to scrape off the ridges from wind and bumps from hardened snow. This isn't your average skating...I watch from the kitchen window as Ted uses his size 13 skates, and 3 grandchildren loudly scrape and scuff their skates sideways- happily attacking each irregularity while practicing dramatic hockey stops.

This family photo for Christmas cards involved as much coordination as a NASA shuttle launch- because we live in 3 states and there are 22 of us, with 7 children under age 5! Taken at Motto Ice Rink after Thanksgiving, it reflects Ted's new passion for hockey and our enjoyment of skating together. But tonight I find myself wondering as I address envelopes to send them out- Should I send one to Santa and ask for a real Zamboni??--before my feet get wet again?

No comments:

Post a Comment